Through doing CrossFit with Coach Sami, she has made amazing friends, has improved her energy levels dramatically, and has increased her core and upper body strength!
1. What’s your athletic background?
The last person chosen for any ballgame at recess or PE class because I was so much smaller than my classmates. My physical activities included marching band a couple of hours a day, mowing lawns to pay for college – 4 every week, and de-tasseling corn if anyone knows what that is!
2. What was your first experience with CF/BUILD?
Last fall with the first class was my first experience with CrossFit/BUILD.
3. When did you start CF/BUILD?
When Sami and Matt started the BUILD class, I started too.
4. Why did you choose CrossFit Memorial Hill/BUILD?
When Sami called, I told Sami that I needed something to get my core stronger and keep me going during chemo, radiation and possible surgery.
5. What keeps you coming back?
Sweat and smiles. We all leave CrossFit Memorial Hill sweating, but I always feel more energized and can move more easily than when I came in. BUILD is also positive emotionally for me because it lets me know that even if I can’t control the cancer, I can control my energy level and how I am able to fight the cancer.
6. Why do you live in KC and how do you like to spend your free time?
I live in KC because my husband’s first job out of college was here. We have always enjoyed living and working in KC. Our free time is spent with church activities, our children and grandchildren, and friends.
7. What do you like about KC?
It’s been home for a long time. It’s centrally located for our family, the economy is great, and there’s always someplace to go or something to do.
8. What are one or two improvements you have seen in your life since starting CF/BUILD?
Number one improvement is my energy level has drastically increased. Number two is that my upper body strength and core strength are so much better than they were when I began.
9. What are your goals for 2017?
I want to increase my weight by at least 10 lbs. and maintain that weight. I want to have the energy to be active for the entire day and the day after that too even when I am having a chemo treatment.
10. What would you say to someone thinking about starting CF/BUILD?
It’s the best thing you could imagine doing for yourself and in the long run for your family.
11. What’s your favorite & least favorite CF movement?
Favorite is just about anything with the bar or weights. Least favorite is superman or something with the med balls.
12. What’s your favorite cheat meal?
I would love to eat some cheese, yogurt or ice cream, but can’t so I guess I’ll have a protein drink. Yuck, I REALLY detest protein drinks, protein bars, protein cookies, but sometimes those are what help me to maintain my weight.
13. Anything else you would like to share with The Hill family?
I really appreciate being able to come into CrossFit Memorial Hill and do the limited movements I can, and I love seeing what other classes/people are working on.